One of the best ways to reduce inflammation is not through medication but through your diet. Eating the right foods can have a significant impact on inflammation within your body.
Many major diseases are linked to chronic inflammation including cancer, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, depression, and Alzheimer’s. Choosing the right kind of foods can help reduce your risk of illness by reducing the amount of inflammation within your body. Eating the wrong foods could actually increase inflammation accelerating the risk of chronic illnesses.
Foods that cause inflammation and should be avoided:
- Refined carbohydrates such as white bread, and pastries
- French Fries and other fried foods
- Soda and other sugar laden drinks
- Red meat and processed meats
- Margarine, shortening, lard
Anti-inflammatory foods that should be a key part of your diet includes:
- Olive oil
- Green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, and collards
- Nuts like almonds and walnuts
- Fatty fish like salmon, tuna, mackerel, and sardines
- Fruits such as berries, cherries, blueberries, apples, and oranges
If you are looking for an eating plan that closely follows the benefits of anti-inflammatory eating, the best is the Mediterranean Diet, which focusses on fruit, vegetable, nuts, whole grains, fish, and healthy oils.